Divorces can be incredibly difficult both emotionally and procedurally. A divorce lawyer can help guide you through the process. This includes making it as smooth and quick as possible while still protecting and advocating for your rights.
Reasons You May Want a Divorce Lawyer
The following are some typical reasons you may want to strongly considering hiring a divorce lawyer:
- You don’t trust that your spouse will be honest and do the right thing during the divorce
- Your spouse has already shown they are vengeful, dishonest, or aggressive
- You are concerned that your spouse may be hiding assets
- You’re uncomfortable with the divorce process
- You’re not sure what to do during a divorce process and feel easily overwhelmed by the large amount of paperwork
- Your spouse has a divorce lawyer representing them
- Your divorce has special issues that need extra attention, like:
- Who will get custody of the children?
- How often will each of you spend with the children?
- Who will get child support and how much will it be?
- Are either you or your spouse entitled to alimony?
- How will marital property be split up?
- How will marital debts be split up?
- There has been domestic abuse or child abuse in the relationship
- You’re worried your spouse may become abusive if a divorce is started
- You don’t feel comfortable negotiating a divorce alone with your spouse
- Either you or your spouse has problems with drug or alcohol abuse
- Either you or your spouse has mental or physical health problems
- You would be comforted having someone help guide and lead you through the potentially complex process.
When a Divorce Lawyer Can Help if You Have Children
Children are often hit the hardest by divorces. Not only do they see their primary caregivers split apart, unfortunately some are put in between the parents in potentially horrible ways. It’s easy to become overwhelmed with the divorce process by itself. This pressure becomes even more enormous when you’re worried about the welfare of your children.
A divorce lawyer can be especially helpful in the following situations, when your spouse has:
- Been physically or emotionally abusive towards them
- Used the children to try to manipulate you
- Denied you access to your children
- Threatened to harm or take away the children if you leave
- Has already kidnapped the children
A Divorce Lawyer Gives You Piece of Mind
Ultimately, a divorce lawyer will deal with all of the legally complex issues and arguments that may need to be made during a case. The lawyer will keep you informed of your options and where the case is going. Lastly, the lawyer will allow you to go on with your life as seamlessly as possible and help you move on.